Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Soccer Individual Pictures


I took some team and individual Soccer pictures the other day at Northview High School and decided I would tell you a little about my set up. As you can see by the first photo - I had four lights. You might be thinking, "Four lights?! I only see three!" In photography, always assume your number one light is the SUN. I was standing/shooting at the bottom left corner of the image above. The two lights facing the chalk lines making "X" were my fill flashes. the light in the back was my rim light. The fill flashes were at 1/4 power and the rim light was at full power. Here is a test shot I took of myself before I started taking shots of the players. you can see the rim light was used to put light on my back and make me "pop" out of the image by "rimming" me out.


Settings. ISO 200, Aperature 7.1. Shutter 1/100. White Balance was set to "flash"
Here are some more pictures of the players I took that day.




Unfortunatley the wind and clouds were not in my favor during the middle of the shoot. The sky opened and created TOO much rim light on the back creating sun bursts in my lens.


So I moved my lights and location and got a few more good shots.



Hope you enjoyed this mini tutorial on individual soccer pictures. Post comments, questions, or other topics you want me to cover!