Saturday, May 19, 2012

Executive Headshots

Ok, the above picture was one of my test shots while getting everything set up.  It is hardly "executive", but I like to think I could at least look the role.
Executive headshots are always fun because you get to work with business men and women who have a "get it done" mentality.

My executive shoots usually are the most efficient and quickest shoots I have due to this mentality.  I had the privilege to shoot 5 executives from a company in based out of Alpharetta, Georgia last week.

Below is a wide angle view of my set up.
Camera Settings:
Canon Mark II
Canon 70-200L 2.8 (focal length 135)
F/10,
shutter 1/125
I shoot everything in Raw, slight edits in Lightroom and Photoshop










The basic run down on executive shoot is to be fast, precise, and find a commonality between you and the subject.  You only have about 5-7 minutes per subject.  Talk to them the first few seconds, ask them questions, and then start shooting away.  I usually try to get them in 5-6 different poses so they have a variety to choose from.  I also invite them to look at the photos when I am finished and make sure they like at least a few poses.  I found that this is helpful because you can always shoot some more right then!  You don't want to have to lug all your equipment back a different day.

Also, you don't need three lights to do an executive shoot.  I used three because I had three.  The two front lights would have been sufficient, but I decided to point a speedlight towards the backdrop located behind my subject.  This created a little vignette of light giving the background more appeal (IMO).
































I hope you enjoyed this "how to" on executive Headshots.  Comment below if you have any suggestions on another "how to"


Book today! Call for more details! 
770.365.1738
Like us on Facebook:  Valencia Photography
Check out the website:  www.KyleValencia.com