Monday, April 2, 2012

Why I love this photo.



There are many reasons why I love this photo! The first four reasons are obvious, my two boys and two sweet nieces. Their faces and expressions are priceless and show their individual personalities. The other reasons are not so obvious.

This photo uses a lot of photographic principles that, truthfully, I didn't intend to use.
(1) It uses the rule of thirds. Notice the blue lines in the below photo. The lines and intersecting points all have interesting aspects in them and all highlight the subjects. Also the bottom horizontal blue line is close to the line of the brick ledge. This frames out the entire photo.
(2) If you are like me you read left to right and top to bottom. ☺ This photo takes your “usual” eye movement and puts them to work using lines. The lines the brick makes, highlighted in red, start on the top of left of the image. The arc of the brick then moves behind each one of the children's bodies which creates a simple way for viewers to move through the image. It ends with Olivia to the right and then brings you right back to the subjects with the ledge line in the bricks.

And this is why I love this photo!